Individuals in the salaried class work day in and day out to meet their ends, build their homes, and raise their children and families in the best possible manner. But what about once they retire? They no longer receive salaries, but does that mean their expenses stop too? The answer is a big no. And this is where the Employee Provident Fund and the concept of a UAN enter the picture.
The Employee Provident Fund is a widely used scheme by employees to save adequate funds for their retirement. Introduced with the Employees’ Provident Funds Act in 1952, the EPF is managed by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO).
In the earlier years, keeping track of your EPF was cumbersome. But thanks to digitization, all you need is a UAN number to keep track of your contribution to the EPF.
In this blog, we will dive deeper into what a UAN is and explore the process of UAN login.
- What is a UAN?
A UAN, also known as a Universal Account Number, is a 12-digit number issued by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization to all its members. This unique number is permanent and stays the same throughout an individual’s working life, irrespective of job changes.
Once you receive your UAN, all you need to do is link it to your EPF account to activate it and access all the benefits.
- How to Login into Your UAN Account?
What do you need to register for UAN?
To obtain a UAN, you will need the following documents –
- Proof of address
- Employee details
- EPFO member ID
- Bank account details
- KYC documents
- How to Apply for a UAN?
To apply for a UAN, follow the process given below:
- Go to the EPFO website
- Next, click on “Our Services”
- Select “For Employees” and choose “UAN Member e-Sewa”
- Next, activate UAN by clicking on “Activate UAN”
- Enter the requested personal details
- Upload your scanned Aadhar card and a passport-size photo
- Review all the details once again and submit
You will get an SMS or email message with your UAN when it has been created.
- UAN Login: How to Do It?
To successfully complete your UAN login, follow the steps below:
- Go to the EPFO website.
- On the screen itself, you will see the Member e-Sewa login section on the right side.
- Here, enter the asked details, like your UAN number, password, and captcha, for verification.
- Next, click “Sign in.”
- You will now be redirected to the home page. Here, you will see all the details, including UAN number, date of birth, Aadhaar number, and PAN details.
- If you want to specifically check details like your service history or UAN card, click on “View” in the menu bar.
- Similarly, if you wish to request a transfer, claim forms, or do relate activities, click on “Online Services.”
The UAN holds several benefits for employees and employers. It allows you to easily access your EPF account and check its balance. You can also download passbooks and use the UAN to claim withdrawals. Furthermore, with a UAN, you can easily manage your savings and benefits by linking all of your EPF accounts from all of your jobs. For employers, it eases the administrative load on businesses and increases transparency.
All these benefits and more make UAN important. Remember to ask your employer for your UAN. You can also obtain it from the UAN portal and activate it to enjoy all the benefits!