In the world of technology and innovation, everybody will not be immediately able to adopt it because several people will be having a disruptive idea despite the obvious benefits of the whole process. Hence, over the years of research, Rodgers have perfectly identified some of the specific personality traits that will always allow the organisations to ensure that they will be able to organise how the people will be accepting the innovations. This is considered to be the best possible approach or towards dealing the innovation and from the diffusion of innovation is it has been perfectly classified into five major categories.
The stages of the technology adoption curve have been perfectly explained by Rogers as:
- Innovators: These will be 2.5% of the total people and will be the first individuals who will be adopting a particular innovation. Such people are very much capable of taking huge risks into the youngest of the age and such people will be having the highest possible social class along with financial lucidity. They will also be very much social and will be having close contact with the scientific resources so that interactions can be perfectly carried out. Risk tolerance among all these kinds of people will be ultimately very high and financial resources will also be committed by them perfectly in the innovation. Hence, the organisation needs to be clear about such people.
- Early adopters: This is the second-fastest category of the individuals who will be adopting the innovation and these are 3.5% of the total people. Such people will be having the highest possible degree of opinion leadership among all other categories and such people are also typically younger in age and have a very high social status as well. Such people are very much financially lucid and or having the advanced level of education so that they can become socially forward in comparison to be late adopters. Such people are very much discreet in the adoption choices in comparison to the innovators and will be having the complete comprehensive position of central communication.
- Early majority: These are 34% of the total population and are very much capable of adopting the innovation after a specific degree of time. Such people are very much capable of devoting proper time to the adoption which is significantly lower in comparison to the innovators and early adopters. The early majority is very much lower in comparison to be adoption process and will be above the average social status in comparison to the early adopters and will seldom be holding the position of leadership in the whole industry.
- Late majority: This particular category can include 34% of the people and all the individuals in this particular category will be adopting the innovation after the average member of society. These kinds of individuals will be approaching the innovation with a very high degree of scepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Such people will be very much sceptical about the innovation and will be having an idea about the below-average social status with very little financial lucidity in contact with others. Apart from this such people will be also having very little opinion leadership in the whole process.
- Laggards: Such people will be 16% of the total population and individuals in this particular category will be the last ones is to adopt particular information. Unlike some of the previous categories, these kinds of people will never show any kind of opinion leadership in the whole process. Such individuals will be typically having an aversion to change agents and tend to be very much advanced in age. Such people are very much focused on the traditions and will be having the lowest possible social status in comparison to others along with the lowest possible financial fluidity as well. Such people will be in close contact with only family and close friends without any kind of element of opinion leadership in the whole process.
Hence, it is very much advisable for the organisations to be clear about all these kinds of things so that they can launch the products very easily and indulge in detailed research is very much vital to become successful in the long run.