Whether you’re looking to cut down on gluten for health reasons or you have a gluten intolerance, it’s important to know snack that are gluten-free and what you need to avoid. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about gluten-free snacks, from what gluten is and why it’s in some snacks but not others to the best gluten-free snacks for the on-the-go. So let’s get started!
What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein that’s found in wheat, barley, and rye. It’s what gives bread its chewy texture and helps it rise when baking. Some people are sensitive to gluten and can’t eat foods that contain it without feeling sick. Others choose to avoid gluten for health reasons. Regardless of the reason, there are plenty of delicious gluten-free snack options out there.
Who needs to go gluten-free and why?
If you have celiac disease, you’ll need to avoid gluten because consuming it can damage the lining of your small intestine. This can lead to malnutrition because your body can’t absorb nutrients properly. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is similar to celiac disease in that gluten causes symptoms like bloating, diarrhoea, and fatigue, but it doesn’t damage the intestine. And then there are people who simply prefer to avoid gluten because they feel better when they do.
What snacks are safe for gluten-free?
Most fruits and vegetables are naturally gluten-free, so these make great snacks. Fresh or frozen berries, grapes, oranges, and apples are all good options. Vegetables like carrots, celery, and broccoli are also safe to eat. If you’re looking for something a little more substantial, there are plenty of gluten-free crackers, chips, and nuts on the market. Just be sure to check the labels to make sure they don’t contain wheat, barley, or rye.
The Benefits of Going Gluten-Free
There are a few benefits of going gluten-free, even if you don’t have a sensitivity or intolerance:
- For one, it can help you cut down on processed foods since many packaged snacks contain gluten.
- It can also help you increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, and other whole foods since these are typically gluten-free.
- And lastly, going gluten-free may help you lose weight since many high-calorie, processed foods contain gluten.
How to Read Food Labels to Determine if a Snack is Gluten-Free?
If you’re not sure whether a food contains gluten, the best way to find out is to read the label. The FDA requires manufacturers to list whether a food contains wheat (which contains gluten) on the label. However, just because a food doesn’t contain wheat doesn’t mean it’s necessarily gluten-free. That’s because other grains like barley and rye also contain gluten. So if you’re avoiding gluten, be sure to check the label for these ingredients as well.
The Best Gluten-Free Snacks for On-The-Go
Now that we’ve covered all the basics of snacking gluten-free, let’s talk about some specific snack options. If you’re looking for something quick and easy to grab on the go, there are plenty of great options available. Here are a few of our favourites:
• Fresh fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc.
• Dried fruit: apricots, raisins, dates, figs, etc.
• Nut butter packets: single-serve packets of almond butter or peanut butter
• Nuts and seeds: almonds, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, etc.
• Popcorn: plain popcorn or popcorn with seasonings like sea salt or chili powder
• Rice cakes: plain or with nut butter or avocado spread on top
• Veggies and dip: carrots, celery sticks, cucumber slices with hummus or guacamole
These are just a few ideas—get creative and mix and match your favorite fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds to come up with your own perfect snack combo!
Best gluten-free snacks on the market:
There are so many delicious gluten-free snacks on the market these days. Here are a few of our favourites:
• Clif Bars: These bars come in a variety of flavors and are perfect for on-the-go snacking.
• Larabars: Another great option for grab-and-go snacking, Larabars come in both sweet and savory flavors.
• RXBARS: RXBARS are a favorite among athletes and health enthusiasts alike. They’re packed with protein and fiber, making them a filling and satisfying snack.
• ENERGYbits: These bite-sized snacks are made from 100% organic spirulina—a superfood that’s high in protein and nutrients.
• Bobo’s Oat Bars: These yummy bars come in a variety of flavors and are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
With so many delicious and nutritious options available, there’s no reason not to snack gluten-free!
Following a gluten-free diet doesn’t have to be difficult or boring! There are plenty of delicious snack options available that are both easy to make and easy to take on the go. Be sure to check food labels carefully to ensure that your snacks are truly gluten free—and enjoy! To know more, click here.