Thankfully, winter is almost over and spring is right around the corner. For many of you, that means you’ll be able to head back to the beach in just a matter of weeks and of course, that means ensuring that you have everything necessary for a fun and safe outing.
Enjoying the best beaches doesn’t mean that you have to have a ton of gear but there are essentials that you need to seriously consider packing for the trip. Choosing the proper sunscreen is probably second nature by now, but we wanted to point out a few things that are often forgotten. As well as a few you may have never thought of.
The sheer excitement of finally getting to pack your beach bags for some fun in the surf can make even the most conscientious among us forget some of the most basic items. Whether you’re headed to your favorite local spot or planning to visit a beach across the country, along with the aforementioned sun protection, make sure you keep the following in mind.
1. Plenty of water – Sodas, beer, and other beach time favorites provide little to no hydration and you need plenty of it while at the beach. The warmer the day and the more active you are, the more you’ll sweat and while that may help you feel nice and cool, sweating can lead to dehydration and possibly even heat stroke. Try to take at least 1.5 to 2.0 liters per person and as opposed to opting for traditional plastic bottles, Just Water has sustainably sourced, eco-friendly, plant-based cartons that are perfect for the beach.
2. Shade or Evade – If you don’t have a beach umbrella, canopy, or tent that you can use for shade, you need to take breaks from the sun in other ways. Visit some of the local shops, grab lunch or ice cream, or just crank up the car’s air-conditioning and take a drive. Taking breaks from the sun can help you avoid sunburns and dehydration and keep you feeling your best.
3. Food – While you don’t have to plan a full-blown beach barbecue or even pack a picnic, you do need to make sure that you eat enough. Eat a decent meal before heading to the beach and/or take plenty of snacks such as fruit, granola bars, and other foods you enjoy that will travel well in your cooler.
Whenever you are staying close to home, there are a good number of things that you should seriously consider packing for the day. While you may not need them all on every trip, you may kick yourself if/when the occasion arises and you neglected to bring it along.
6. Bug Spray
7. Beach Towels
8. Ziplock Bags
9. Spare Change – in case you need to feed a parking meter
10. Beach Blanket
11. Extra Set of Car/House Keys
13. Jumper Cables – don’t get stuck with a dead battery
15. Men’s, Kid’s, and Women’s Flip-Flops
16. Change of Clothes
17. A Rag & Travel Size Baby Powder – (for sand removal)
18. Sand Toys
19. Hand Wipes/Sanitizer
20. Gatorade Single-Serving Flavor Packs – help make the water a little more appealing to the little ones
A day at the beach is always supposed to be fun and with the right safety precautions and preparation, it can be. You may need a few other things like swim diapers and other items specific to your family but with the list above, most of your beach needs will be covered.